Ongoing editorial feedback and development support via notes, phone, or in-person discussion
The Editorial Department’s manuscript consultation service is designed to be highly flexible and easily tailored to accommodate the scope of the feedback desired, the author’s budget, and the preferred method of feedback. It’s ideal for informal coaching on almost any topic, while also addressing ongoing developmental efforts requiring a lot of back and forth, or for our editors to provide assistance on matters not addressed by flat-rate services. Feedback can be provided by phone, e-mail, editorial memo, notes in the manuscript, or any combination that suits your needs. (Consultation is also available in-person in some cities.)
Manuscript consultation is most useful for authors who like to work in sections or who work best in closer contact with their editor, so they can ask questions and get feedback as things come up. This service is often offered as a follow-up to a full manuscript critique, when more hands-on help is desired for addressing challenges and working on problem areas.
Manuscript consultation is $.004 per word for reading, plus $75 per hour for feedback by whatever method the author chooses. Time is tracked by the editor, and invoices for accrued time are typically sent twice monthly.
Varies based on length of material to be reviewed.
To request a quote, make a submission, or request more information
What happens next?
All inquiries to The Editorial Department will be personally fielded by author services director Ross Browne, who will do the following:
- confirm receipt of your materials
- gather any further information needed
- do a no-cost/no-obligation preliminary review, to get a feel for which editor(s) and service(s) best fit your project’s needs
- provide a written quote with price and turnaround time for any recommended services
- answer any questions about recommended options or possible alternatives
- schedule your project with the assigned editor, if you decide to move forward
- explain and finalize the appropriate billing arrangements
- provide a firm delivery date and keep you updated on our progress, as appropriate
- deliver your feedback or editing to you once it’s ready
- arrange for follow up with your editor by phone or email, once you have reviewed your feedback and/or editing
- advise on next steps, and schedule reviews of new drafts if requested
Privacy & Confidentiality
We have utmost respect for our clients’ privacy concerns and will never sell, share, or disseminate your contact information. We will treat all materials supplied to us as confidential.
Formal nondisclosure agreements are not required but are available on request. More info is available here.
“Don’t ever defer to my judgment…for a writer of any account must speak solely for himself.” Maxwell Perkins, Editor
“Don’t ever defer to my judgment…for a writer of any account must speak solely for himself.”
Maxwell Perkins, Editor