Detailed critique and guidance via editorial memorandum and margin comments in manuscript text
Manuscript annotation is a hybrid service consisting of overview notes addressing big-picture analysis (similar to our manuscript evaluation) and copious “close notes” inserted directly as comments in the manuscript. The editor who reads your manuscript will not only address strengths and weaknesses and offer suggestions in the overview memo, but also will provide comments in more specific detail throughout the manuscript.
Manuscript annotation includes an overview memo that summarizes how the story or narrative is working as a whole, with attention to plot, pacing, characterization, dialogue, and writing style (for fiction); and organization, structure, effectiveness, and clarity (for nonfiction). In addition, this service includes running commentary throughout your manuscript, providing suggestions and ideas and flagging specific matters in need of attention or further consideration. The result can be thought of as a very comprehensive and detailed roadmap through the revision process, with focus on big-picture matters affecting the book as a whole, as well as highly specific matters of execution.
This service is most appropriate for later drafts of manuscripts or works that are already reasonably sound in structure. If you’re unsure an annotation is right for you, we’d be happy to advise.
Pricing for manuscripts over 50,000 words is $0.014 per word. Pricing for shorter manuscripts is as follows:
|37,501 – 50,000 words:||$625|
|25,001 – 37,500 words:||$510|
|12,501 – 25,000 words:||$390|
|6,251 – 12,500 words:||$275|
|Less than 6,250 words:||$160|
Turnaround time for manuscript evaluations is typically 4-5 weeks.
Click here to see a manuscript annotation sample.
To request a quote, make a submission, or request more information
What happens next?
All inquiries to The Editorial Department will be personally fielded by author services director Ross Browne, who will do the following:
- confirm receipt of your materials
- gather any further information needed
- do a no-cost/no-obligation preliminary review, to get a feel for which editor(s) and service(s) best fit your project’s needs
- provide a written quote with price and turnaround time for any recommended services
- answer any questions about recommended options or possible alternatives
- schedule your project with the assigned editor, if you decide to move forward
- explain and finalize the appropriate billing arrangements
- provide a firm delivery date and keep you updated on our progress, as appropriate
- deliver your feedback or editing to you once it’s ready
- arrange for follow up with your editor by phone or email, once you have reviewed your feedback and/or editing
- advise on next steps, and schedule reviews of new drafts if requested
Privacy & Confidentiality
We have utmost respect for our clients’ privacy concerns and will never sell, share, or disseminate your contact information. We will treat all materials supplied to us as confidential.
Formal nondisclosure agreements are not required but are available on request. More info is available here.
“I am not very bright or very witty or very inventive after the sun goes down.” Toni Morrison
“I am not very bright or very witty or very inventive after the sun goes down.”