Traditional Publishing Support
Expert support for submissions to agents and publishers
One thing that separates The Editorial Department from others in the field is our track record of success in helping authors navigate the submissions process and find homes for their manuscripts, with top agents and publishers. (You can read more about these placements here.)
Our traditional publishing support focuses on helping you find quality literary representation at the conclusion of the editorial process. You’ll work directly with experienced editors who understand the market and know how to cast the best light on a manuscript’s commercial potential. The process varies based on the nature of the project and the best course for it, but may include the following:
- A candid, knowledgeable assessment of your work’s readiness for submission to agents and publishers
- Suggestions to improve your manuscript or book proposal’s chance of a positive reception
- Hands-on help in developing, editing, and perfecting stellar pitch materials, including query letters, synopses, book proposals, and more
- Suggestions for specific agents to approach and the best way to approach them
- Advice and guidance from knowledgeable industry insiders on how to pitch your work to agents and prepare for conference events where you have the opportunity to meet agents and editors in person
- Referrals to literary agents who are likely to be good fits for exceptional manuscripts
While there’s never any guarantee that working with The Editorial Department will result in landing an agent or securing a publishing contract, we can definitely improve the odds. Over the years we have helped dozens of good agents and good writers find one another, and our support in this capacity has been instrumental in bringing many good books into print.
Traditional publishing support services are generally billed at $.004 per word for reading and $75 per hour for feedback, guidance, and editing of pitch materials.
Critique and revision guidance on your query letter, synopsis, and first 50 manuscript pages, from an experienced publishing professional.
Book proposal evaluation, editing, and development consultation.
$75 per hour, with flat rate options starting at $325
“Don’t dread. Do.” Janet Burroway
“Don’t dread. Do.”