Query Letter Consultation & Editing
In-depth feedback, guidance, and editing for query letters, synopses, and other pitch documentation
The Editorial Department has several editors on staff who are very familiar with art of of pitching novels, book proposals, and nonfiction works to literary agents and publishers. We offer a wide range of support with query letters, summaries, synopses, and other pitch materials and can help you start from scratch or improve upon an existing draft.
Please note that our intent is never to write a query for you but rather to provide expert guidance, objective feedback, and hands-on editing to help cast the best light on your project and whatever contextual information is needed to make you and your project attractive to agents and publishers.
Authors who haven’t written a query before can expect whatever guidance and coaching may be needed to help you write a good first draft. We’ll provide a primer on the best practices and strategies for querying and help you identify the aspects of your project that are the most appealing and marketable.
Authors who already have a query letter drafted can expect candid, knowledgeable feedback on what can be improved, and what may need to be added or cut. We’ll work with you until the letter is very sound in content, and then provide whatever polishing or correction is necessary.
Any reading of source material, if required, is $.004 per word. Feedback, consultation, and editing of pitch materials is $75 per hour.
Turnaround time for query and pitch material work is usually less than 1–2 weeks.
To request a quote, make a submission, or request more information
What happens next?
All inquiries to The Editorial Department will be personally fielded by author services director Ross Browne, who will do the following:
- confirm receipt of your materials
- gather any further information needed
- do a no-cost/no-obligation preliminary review, to get a feel for which editor(s) and service(s) best fit your project’s needs
- provide a written quote with price and turnaround time for any recommended services
- answer any questions about recommended options or possible alternatives
- schedule your project with the assigned editor, if you decide to move forward
- explain and finalize the appropriate billing arrangements
- provide a firm delivery date and keep you updated on our progress, as appropriate
- deliver your feedback or editing to you once it’s ready
- arrange for follow up with your editor by phone or email, once you have reviewed your feedback and/or editing
- advise on next steps, and schedule reviews of new drafts if requested
Privacy & Confidentiality
We have utmost respect for our clients’ privacy concerns and will never sell, share, or disseminate your contact information. We will treat all materials supplied to us as confidential.
Formal nondisclosure agreements are not required but are available on request. More info is available here.
“The surest way to arouse and hold the attention of the reader is by being specific, definite and concrete.” William Strunk
“The surest way to arouse and hold the attention of the reader is by being specific, definite and concrete.”