Substantive, in-depth guidance on revision to bring out a manuscript’s full potential and prepare for final line or copy editing
Our developmental editing service pairs you with experienced developmental editors, writing teachers, and industry insiders to help you craft a book that reaches its fullest potential and has the best chance of success in the marketplace. While the process varies based on your needs, objectives, budget, and preferred working method, steps may include the following:
- A preliminary review to assess your manuscript’s needs
- In-depth annotative and evaluative feedback to help you execute revisions guided by highly specific comments and suggestions
- Guidance and coaching on writing technique and points of literary craft relevant to your manuscript
- Supporting feedback from literary agents to explore and maximize your project’s commercial potential with mainstream publishers
- Consultation with your editor(s) as needed by phone or email to discuss questions, ideas, problems, possible solutions, or next steps
- Follow-up feedback on new drafts to make sure you’re on track and to identify new opportunities for improvement
At the conclusion of the developmental editing process, your manuscript should be exceptionally sound in concept, content, structure, and overall execution, and it should be ready for final polishing and correction.
Pricing for developmental editing services starts at $.01 per word and is based on the scope, depth, and nature of the work involved and your preferred method of receiving feedback. (We can generally work with you by phone, editorial letter, in-manuscript annotations, or any combination of these, and you can read more about how the developmental editing process works and what to expect from it here.) We provide written no-cost/no-obligation quotes based on careful consideration of your manuscript’s needs and the program(s), service(s), and editor(s) that best fit what you’re trying to accomplish.
A hybrid of manuscript critique, developmental editing, and in-depth revision guidance via editorial memorandum and margin comments in manuscript text.
$.014 per word (1.4 cents) for most manuscripts
Ongoing editorial feedback, revision gudiance, and development support in writing, by phone, or in-person in some cities.
$.004 per word for reading plus $75 per hour for feedback
Follow-up review and feedback for a new draft of a revised manuscript already at least once reviewed by The Editorial Department.
$.01 – .014 per word, depending on method
“Child, to say the very thing you really mean, the whole of it, nothing more or less or other than what you really mean; that’s the whole art and joy of words.” C.S. Lewis
“Child, to say the very thing you really mean, the whole of it, nothing more or less or other than what you really mean; that’s the whole art and joy of words.”