In-depth lessons on specific topics of writing craft, based on your work-in-progress or completed manuscript
The content of these memos varies greatly, depending on the nature and scope of the issues being addressed. Common topics for novelists include (but aren’t limited to) plot architecture and development, characterization, and dialogue. In all cases the task memo takes an in-depth look at any shortcomings in the work and makes specific suggestions to address them.
Task memos are lengthy editorial memoranda that provide a comprehensive lesson in the best practices of a specific point of craft, citing pertinent problem areas in your own manuscript, and making suggestions as to how to fix them. Included in the price is a half-hour of phone or email consultation with the reviewing editor. This session gives you the opportunity to ask questions, clarify, and discuss any recommendations your editor may have made. Consultation beyond the time included with the task memo, if desired, is available at our standard rate of $75 per hour.
The price for a task memo is $750 and up.
Turnaround time for task memos is typically 3–5 weeks.
To request a quote, make a submission, or request more information
What happens next?
All inquiries to The Editorial Department will be personally fielded by author services director Ross Browne, who will do the following:
- confirm receipt of your materials
- gather any further information needed
- do a no-cost/no-obligation preliminary review, to get a feel for which editor(s) and service(s) best fit your project’s needs
- provide a written quote with price and turnaround time for any recommended services
- answer any questions about recommended options or possible alternatives
- schedule your project with the assigned editor, if you decide to move forward
- explain and finalize the appropriate billing arrangements
- provide a firm delivery date and keep you updated on our progress, as appropriate
- deliver your feedback or editing to you once it’s ready
- arrange for follow up with your editor by phone or email, once you have reviewed your feedback and/or editing
- advise on next steps, and schedule reviews of new drafts if requested
Privacy & Confidentiality
We have utmost respect for our clients’ privacy concerns and will never sell, share, or disseminate your contact information. We will treat all materials supplied to us as confidential.
Formal nondisclosure agreements are not required but are available on request. More info is available here.
“Slaying dragons, melting witches, and banishing demons is all fun and games until someone loses a sidekick—then it’s personal. The bad guy isn’t just the “bad guy” anymore, he’s the BAD GUY!” Michael J. Sullivan
“Slaying dragons, melting witches, and banishing demons is all fun and games until someone loses a sidekick—then it’s personal. The bad guy isn’t just the “bad guy” anymore, he’s the BAD GUY!”
Michael J. Sullivan