Fiction Technique Memo
An intensive course in advanced fiction-writing techniques, based on your work-in-progress or complete manuscript
The fiction technique memo coaches plot and scene construction, character creation and development, dialogue content and delivery, and dramatic structure—using examples from your own manuscript throughout. This makes it a personalized crash course in fiction craft.
At a minimum length of 45 pages, the fiction technique memo is our most comprehensive and in-depth service for teaching novel craft. It’s ideal for the writer who has good instincts and ideas but doesn’t yet have a firm grasp on how to put a novel together and keep readers turning its pages.
Included in the price is a half-hour of phone or email consultation with the reviewing editor. This session gives the author the opportunity to ask questions, clarify, and discuss the points of craft raised by the editor. Consultation beyond the time included with the fiction technique memo, if desired, is available at our standard rate of $75 per hour.
The price for a fiction technique memo is $2,200.
Turnaround time for fiction technique memos is typically 5 weeks.
To request a quote, make a submission, or request more information
What happens next?
All inquiries to The Editorial Department will be personally fielded by author services director Ross Browne, who will do the following:
- confirm receipt of your materials
- gather any further information needed
- do a no-cost/no-obligation preliminary review, to get a feel for which editor(s) and service(s) best fit your project’s needs
- provide a written quote with price and turnaround time for any recommended services
- answer any questions about recommended options or possible alternatives
- schedule your project with the assigned editor, if you decide to move forward
- explain and finalize the appropriate billing arrangements
- provide a firm delivery date and keep you updated on our progress, as appropriate
- deliver your feedback or editing to you once it’s ready
- arrange for follow up with your editor by phone or email, once you have reviewed your feedback and/or editing
- advise on next steps, and schedule reviews of new drafts if requested
Privacy & Confidentiality
We have utmost respect for our clients’ privacy concerns and will never sell, share, or disseminate your contact information. We will treat all materials supplied to us as confidential.
Formal nondisclosure agreements are not required but are available on request. More info is available here.
“You can learn a lot, but you can’t learn talent.” Lawrence Block
“You can learn a lot, but you can’t learn talent.”