Coaching Line Edit
Line editing with in-depth coaching notes to teach self-editing skills
The coaching line edit is a two-pronged service that provides a high-level stylistic edit of the manuscript sample with in-text comments to explain the craft and technique behind the editorial changes. This not only provides you with a highly polished sample, but can help you learn to be a more effective self-editor.
With the coaching line edit, a sample of any length (usually 25-50 pages) will be carefully line edited by your editor, using Microsoft Word’s track changes feature, so you can see what was cut, inserted, or modified, along with margin comments explaining why the change was made and what you need to know about the principle in question.
Included in the price is a half-hour of phone or email consultation with the reviewing editor. This session gives you the opportunity to ask questions, clarify, and discuss technique or recommendations. Consultation beyond the time included with the coaching line edit, if desired, is available at our standard rate of $75 per hour.
$.06 per word and up
Turnaround time for a coaching line edit is typically 3–5 weeks.
To request a quote, make a submission, or request more information
What happens next?
All inquiries to The Editorial Department will be personally fielded by author services director Ross Browne, who will do the following:
- confirm receipt of your materials
- gather any further information needed
- do a no-cost/no-obligation preliminary review, to get a feel for which editor(s) and service(s) best fit your project’s needs
- provide a written quote with price and turnaround time for any recommended services
- answer any questions about recommended options or possible alternatives
- schedule your project with the assigned editor, if you decide to move forward
- explain and finalize the appropriate billing arrangements
- provide a firm delivery date and keep you updated on our progress, as appropriate
- deliver your feedback or editing to you once it’s ready
- arrange for follow up with your editor by phone or email, once you have reviewed your feedback and/or editing
- advise on next steps, and schedule reviews of new drafts if requested
Privacy & Confidentiality
We have utmost respect for our clients’ privacy concerns and will never sell, share, or disseminate your contact information. We will treat all materials supplied to us as confidential.
Formal nondisclosure agreements are not required but are available on request. More info is available here.
“A little talent is a good thing to have if you want to be a writer. But the only real requirement is the ability to remember every scar.” Stephen King
“A little talent is a good thing to have if you want to be a writer. But the only real requirement is the ability to remember every scar.”